Want to up your luggage game? Here’s a simple piece of advice for you: buy a travel duffel bag. Sure, duffel bags may not every traveler’s first and go-to choice. But, guess what? There are tons of upsides to using this travel bag.
As a matter of fact, I’m using duffel bags more often in both my leisure and business trips. Trust me, it’s a cool, fashionable and must-have travel bag for all types of travelers. Every time I step into an airport, I see a plethora of people carrying and using duffel bags. From a rolling duffel bag to a fabulous Nike duffel bag, I saw a wide array of these travel bags, the last time I was on an airport.
The way I see it, duffel bags are, somewhat, replacing backpacks and rolling luggage. After all, they are convenient and versatile bags for commuters and modern adventurers. Whether you’re searching for something practical, a chic travel accessory or roomy bag, a duffel bag will surely make your journey hassle-free. And, to help you make the right choice, we’ve rounded up a few tips how to select the best duffel bag for your next adventure.
Carrying a duffel bag can be beneficial to you in a lot of different ways.
Here’s a quick rundown of some of the perks and upsides of traveling with a duffel bag:
• Stylish and eye-catching
Looking for a fashionable travel bag that matches your chic and Instagram-worthy outfit? Why not carry a travel duffel bag for your trip? Even though they aren’t known for their sophistication, there are plenty of duffel bags that look easy on the eyes. There are leather duffel bags that exude a ruggedly beautiful style. And, there are other duffel bags with radiant colors and lovely patterns, such as the Everest Duffel Bag.
Duffel bags don’t have the rigid structure of a traditional suitcase. And, that means its flexibility makes a duffel bag easy to squish into tight and small spaces. Anyone who has ever tried wrestling their carry on travel bag into a packed and tight overhead compartment will appreciate the perks of traveling with this pliable piece of baggage.
To make things even better, most travel duffel bags are made of water-resistant materials. Although not exactly 100 percent waterproof, these materials can at least save you from disaster, when you’re caught in a sudden downpour. Alternatively, you can also opt for a waterproof duffel bag if you want to totally protect your stuff when it rains.
• You can bring it everywhere
You can take it to work, and it won’t look like a purse. And, if you are not going to the gym, you can still bring it work since it doesn’t like a quintessential gym bag. What’s more, it perfectly fits with most airline companies, meaning it makes a terrific travel bag.
• Travel duffel bags are roomy and easy to pack
There’s one thing that travel duffel bags favor all its other features – a whole lot of room. With its unstructured and cylindrical shape, a duffel bag makes a great choice for travelers who need a great deal of room for some bulky gear. Additionally, a lot of travel duffel bags can be opened from its side, meaning packing is fairly easy. As far as I’m concerned, this feature will come in quite handy if you need to stash items like snow boots or diving gear into your travel bag.
• They are surprisingly affordable
No one wants to spend a ton of money on a piece of luggage. Luckily, travel duffel bags are priced lower than suitcases. And, just because it’s more affordable, it doesn’t mean you’re sacrificing quality or space. With a travel duffel bag, you get to spend more money on your trip instead of investing it in an overpriced piece of baggage.
A duffel bag is, by no means, a one-dimensional piece of luggage. Even when you’re not traveling, you can use it for other things. Here are the most common uses of duffel bags:
• Business. Whether you need to store files or a laptop, there especially designed duffel bags with pockets and protective sleeves for business items. To add more flair to your office look, opt for a leather duffel bag.
• Gear storage. Not traveling at the moment? Amazingly, you can use your travel duffel bag to hold clothes, camping gear and other stuff that need a home under your bed or in your closet. The biggest advantage of using this kind of bag for storage is that you can usually twist or fold it into any shape you want. In turn, it allows you to nicely fit into whatever space is available. Not bad, right? Not traveling at the moment? Amazingly, you can use your travel duffel bag to hold clothes, camping gear and other stuff that need a home under your bed or in your closet. The biggest advantage of using this kind of bag for storage is that you can usually twist or fold it into any shape you want. In turn, it allows you to nicely fit into whatever space is available. Not bad, right?
• Beach bag. Large duffel bags are ideal for beach escapades since you can seamlessly fit some snacks, sunscreen, a towel and other beach essentials inside. Furthermore, they are much easier to work, when it comes to shaking out the beach sand, once you get home, as compared to a purse or backpack. Ever tried removing the sand out of your purse or backpack? Believe me, it takes quite a while.
• Gym. Duffel bags are, hands down, terrific bag options for gym goers. Not only are they easy to clean, but they are so spacious as well. With their space and shape, they can store your street clothes, shoes, gym clothes and personal items, like shampoo. In general, duffel bags also fit seamlessly into gym lockers, making it an even more appealing choice for everyone.
• Sports and recreation. From basketball to tennis, these cool bags will come in handy for recreation and sports. With its portability and size, you can easily fill your duffel bag with your gear, and throw it over your shoulder, as you make your way to your game or match.
• Travel. Whether you’re using a rolling duffel bag or a carry on duffel bag, this travel essential will surely make your adventure comfortable and hassle-free. Not only do they provide easy access to your belongings, but they are pretty lightweight too, making them so easy to carry. As their popularity continues to skyrocket, a lot of companies are now adding a bunch of new features to these bags. To make it them more convenient, companies are producing rolling duffel bags. Not to mention, most of their duffel bags re sized as carry on baggage to make your trips and flights easier.
Where are you going? What are activities are you’re going to try? When looking for the best travel duffel bag, the first thing you have to do is to determine the type of trip you’re taking. Are you going to hike on rugged terrain for days? Planning on going on an urban adventure across Europe?
Before buying a duffel bag, know the type of trip you’re taking and list down the activities you’re planning to experience on your trip. That way, you can easily pick the type of duffel bag for your trip.
• Duffel bag material. The material of your duffel bag heavily depends on the type of trip you’re going on. For instance, if you’re going to hike or camp, then you need look for the best waterproof duffel bag available on the market. That way, you can avoid your items getting soggy and wet in unpredictable weather. If you’re going to take a long, multi-day hike, you likely need to bring a more durable duffel bag. In this case, I suggest that you look for the best leather duffel bag. And, there are tons of other different duffel bag materials to choose from, including nylon. So, make sure to identify your needs before you scour the online marketplace for the best duffel bags.
• Capacity. One of the most important things to consider when looking for the best duffel bag. Too big and your things will be moving all over the place. Too small and you’re likely to leave some of your belongings and even travel essentials behind. The best large-sized duffel bag will have enough space to store everything you need for a week away, or at least, a long weekend. On average, the best large duffel bags have the capacity of 4,000 to 7,000 cubic inches. Obviously, that’s enough space for anything you’ll need for your long trip. If, however, you’re going away for a short time, and not in the mood to carry a bulky bag, look for a smaller duffel bag.
• Weight. Weight is a major factor, especially since most airline companies limit you around 50 pounds per bag if flying outside the US. That’s why every ounce matters, when selecting a travel duffel bag. If you’re traveling extensively, crossing wet or uneven terrain, or walking for long periods, you’ll need a travel duffel bag that can be easily carried. Sure, wheeled duffel bags may offer mobility, but there’s a particular place and time for these bags. A traditional travel duffel bag without wheels is normally more mobile and lighter.
• Convenience and features. Always check the specs and features, before you buy a travel duffel bag. While some of its features seem trivial, they may have a huge impact on convenience and ease of travel. For instance, a large travel duffel with a D-shaped opening zipper gives you more access or freedom to dig around for an item, as opposed to a duffle with a straight zipper. The duffel bag you choose will also depend on what gear you’ll need.
Searching for great deals for the best duffel bags? Well, look no further than our online store! From leather carry-on duffel bags to high-quality backpacks, we’ve got a ton of terrific deals for all types of travel bags! And with Trekeffect and start planning your dream adventure -- it's the best way to indulge yourself!
We want to hear from you! What are your thoughts on the article? What did you find most interesting and do you have any of your own experiences you can you share with us to make this article even better? Let us know in the comments!